Zune Going Bad After Three Months?

February 1, 2007 by Static | 9 Comments
Filed Under Portable Audio, Portable Video

Zune

It seems as if has been getting a lot of support calls lately—although that was expected; except regarding the Zune cracking. The Zune, with a massive 3 inch screen and a sturdy nearly scratch-less case have been praised for its robustness. But it seems like the screen isn’t doing too well, three months into the hands of the consumers. The lithium ion battery—located right behind the top half of the screen—seems to be expanding due to the immense heat and is cracking the screen with its pressure. Definitely an issue that was not brought up at the beginning weeks after the Zune’s launch back in November 14, 2006, but to make things worse, Microsoft seems like they won’t be covering this issue under their warranty by claiming it as an outside the warranty problem. Too late to return the product for these victims. Considering the internal structure of the , the possibility of such cracking of the screen simply cannot be ignored. But of course, these recent reports could be from a few Zune droppers. If you’re actually experiencing this problem or seem as if you may experience it after charging your Zune up for a few hours, please let us know, so we can validate this news.

[via Engadget]

Incoming search terms:

Trackbacks/Pings (Trackback URL)

RELATED POSTS:

Comments

9 Comments so far

1. Kody Schultz on March 15, 2007 10:54 pm

Damn right the screen cracked on my Zune same spot top 1/2 the screen right on top of the batterty.

2. rick on June 30, 2007 4:28 am

yeah i bought a zune and around three months later after having left my zune charging overnight my screen broke, i called microsof and they will not fix it, they said it wuz my fault but they need 2 own up 2 there design flaw and fix mine and all these other peoples zunes.

3. Jake Hanson on October 16, 2007 4:42 am

i was watching a movie, set it down in the provided case… about 30min to an hour later the screen was cracked. Out of curiosity i tried pressing the screen as hard as a could, hitting reasonably hard and i personally could get it to crack, so i check the internet and found that it may have been cause like said due to the batter.

4. JackJackson on December 9, 2007 9:27 pm

My Zune LCD cracked without warning after 2 weeks of use. Microsoft employees first laughed at me, then told me that if I wanted it fixed I would first have to sue them

5. trey on December 13, 2007 1:16 am

dang it mine just cracked when i had it o the carger so we called mricosofth all they said was dont abuse it

6. trey on December 13, 2007 1:18 am

its these kind of things that will but mricosoft out of buseness

7. trey on December 13, 2007 1:19 am

dont they make the 360

8. Leslie on February 12, 2008 10:39 pm

I purchased a Zune 30 gig for my son at the end of Nov. 2007 and we received it Dec. 10, 2007. Last week, he picked it up to listen to it (it had been sitting on top of our piano with the earbud wrapped around it). He unwrapped the still secure earbuds and turned it on to find a splintered screen. Nothing wrong on the outside…completely on the inside. I call Zune today…isn’t covered by warranty and I need to call an outside party to replace the screen. Oh…and it will cost around $100. Oh…there’s no guarantee it won’t happen again.

How can consumer’s protect themselves from this kind of fraud????

9. Tori on August 13, 2008 6:38 am

Exactly.
    I’ve had this same problem just today. I didn’t do ANYTHING to it. I put it in my friend’s bag which only contained a jacket and I got it out a couple minutes later. The crack originated in the top lefthand corner of the screen. I think it does have everything to do with the battery because I have my Zune charging whenever I’m not using it.

Name (required)

Email (will not be publihed) (required)

Website